To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Who is considered an Otter Lake Water Commission customer?

Otter Lake Water Commission is the whoelsale water supplier to several area towns and water districts which include Auburn, Divernon, Girard, Pawnee, Thayer, Virden, Nilwood, Tovey, South Palmyra Rural Water District and Henderson Water District.  Each town or water district is responsible for their own individual customers. You are an Otter Lake Water Commission customer if you pay your utility bill directly to us.  We contract bill for the Village of Nilwood - these customers are still considered Nilwood's customers even though you pay your bill to our office.  If you are unsure if you are an Otter Lake Water Commission customer please call our office prior to paying your bill.

How could I have used this much water?

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem. (Leaking Toilet Information) 

Many of our meters record the amount of flow moving through the meter. We are able to download this information telling exactly how much water went through your meter each hour.

Can I get an adjustment for my leak?

The Otter Lake Water Commission has a leak adjustment policy.  You have to have usage over 4 times your average and the leak must be fixed within 30 days to qualify for any adjustment. (Leak Adjustment Policy)

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.5 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Systems that use chloramine as a disinfectant must maintain a level of 1.0 mg/L by state law. Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. If you made a payment online through your bank or financial institution it is not debited to your account automatically, they still have to mail us a payment on your behalf.  Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Do you offer tours of your water treatment plant?

Yes!  We are happy to schedule tours of the water treatment plant for groups or individuals.  Give us a call at (217) 965-1566 to arrange a tour.